Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Magic of Paint

I was never a fan of the dark brick fireplace.  It gave the living room a very dated appearance and was the main focus of the room.  By painting the brick white, I felt it would add more balance and give me the open and airy feeling I was seeking.   In typical Tracy-fashion, I got started as soon as I realized I had white paint in the garage.  I was determined to have a full fireplace makeover by morning and painted for 5 hours straight!

Before
After

Wow.  I had no idea how labor intensive painting a fireplace would be!  The entire right side of my body ACHED for days afterwards.  (I'm right handed.)  Since brick is very porous, it needs 3 solid coats of paint,  plus getting in between the bricks was very challenging.  It was well worth the 7+ hours of painting though and I'm so happy with the new look.

3 comments:

Sherry Petersik said...

LOVE IT! Amazing job! Thanks for sending the link our way!

xo,
s (& j)

Sara said...

Wow that did make a huge difference! So fresh and updated! What a big job to tackle!

Laurel said...

I love the fireplace! You did such a good job on that! It looks so much better.